Civil Division

The Civil Division handles non-criminal lawsuits among individuals and/or corporations brought to enforce, redress, or protect private rights. Civil courts have jurisdiction over disputes involving money, title or possession of real property, or seeking compensation for a civil tort. Petitions to change one's name/gender, petition to change a child's name, or petitions seeking civil harassment restraining orders are also processed by the Civil Division.

Resolve Your Dispute Without Going to Court

You may be able to settle your dispute without going to court. Find out more information about Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) or contact the National Conflict Resolution Center by calling (619) 238-2400.

Where to File Your Case or Petition

Find the zip code or city name where the person or company you are suing lives or does business, or where the incident occurred. The complaint should be filed in the corresponding court location (venue).

Filing by Fax

Local Rule of Court 2.5.2 governs the filing of documents by fax.

  • Filing via a fax filing agency:  The court will accept for filing all documents submitted by fax filing agencies, except those specified in the California Rules of Court.

  • Presentation by direct fax (civil limited cases):  Any document not required to be accompanied by a payment may be filed directly by fax. The numbers for direct fax filing may be obtained by contacting the assigned business office.

The business office will not provide conformed copies unless a request is submitted to the court with a self-addressed envelope stamped and a total fee for copies of the faxed document.

Pay Your Court Ordered Fee

Monthly payments for fees may be submitted by credit card through the online payment system. Enter the case number exactly as printed on your Payment Notice, and your date of birth as instructed on the online payment link, by the due date. Failure to make timely payments as ordered by the court may result in a referral to a collection agency for any unpaid fees, and/or in a dismissal of your case.

Judgment Calculator

Use the Judgment Calculator to calculate

  • Daily and to-date accrued interest
  • Interest in between costs after judgment
  • Interest between payments