TEMPORARY Virtual Hearing Links During Microsoft Teams Outage https://www.sdcourt.ca.gov/virtualhearings

Family & Children

Family Court handles all types of family law matters. Family law is the term generally used when referring to actions for divorce, legal separation, annulment, parentage, child custody, visitation, support (child and spousal), domestic violence restraining orders, and family related issues. Court hearings on these types of actions are heard in Family Court.

Family & Children

  • (FLOW) Family Law Facilitator's Office Online Workshop Reservation System

    Don't have time to wait in line? Schedule an appointment online, download the required forms and receive a checklist for the following Family Law Facilitator workshops:

    • Divorce - start a divorce, legal separation or nullity case
    • Guardianships - start a guardianship

Visit https://iflow.sdcourt.ca.gov to schedule your appointment.

  • The online webform, Notice of Continuance Request/Settlement, is available on the assigned judicial officer's/department's page located under "Judges and Departments".

Divorce, Legal Separation, or Annulment

Persons wishing to terminate their marital or domestic partner relationship may file for divorce, legal separation, or annulment. Issues of child custody, visitation, support, and property division may also be resolved in those cases.


Parents who are not married may file a parentage (paternity) action to establish the existence of a parent-child relationship. Besides determining the existence (or non-existence) of a parent-child relationship, issues of child custody, visitation, and support may also be addressed.

Domestic Violence

Persons involved in situations where abuse has occurred (or threats of abuse) between them and a person they have a close personal relationship with, may apply for domestic violence restraining orders in Family Court.

Self-Help Services

Family law cases involve serious, and often complex, legal issues. You should consider consulting with a family law attorney before you make the choice to represent yourself. If you decide to represent yourself and need general legal information or help in filling out court forms, self-help services are available through the Family Law Facilitator's Office. Detailed information can also be located on the California Courts website under the "Self-Help" section at http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp

For certain actions, you may be eligible for a free attorney through the Sargent Shriver Civil Counsel Act. Click here for information.