The court first tapped volunteer power in 1986 when it opened its original Children's Waiting Room in response to community concern for child witnesses exposed to in-custody defendants being escorted through the public hallways. Since then, the volunteer program has expanded to embrace many facets of court activities. The volunteer program can provide an invaluable experience to individuals seeking a legal career as well as to those interested in serving their community.
- Superior Court is committed to the concept that volunteers are equally as important as employees and affords them the same respect and consideration. Like employees, volunteers are expected to report for duty as assigned and to give appropriate feedback to their supervisors.
- The Volunteer Program maintains a personnel file on each participant, which records the hours worked in each assignment.
- Volunteer applicants must be at least 18-years-old.
- To maintain courthouse security, prospective volunteers must pass a criminal background check, including fingerprints, before acceptance into the program.
- Volunteer applicants must be able to commit to being available four hours a week for at least four months in order to be considered. Available shifts are Monday through Friday between 8:00am-5:00pm.
- All volunteers are trained on a one-to-one basis in the work they will perform. Additionally, those serving in the Children's Waiting Rooms attend a free class in CPR.
Please note: the court does not accept applicants who have been ordered to complete court ordered community service.
Fill out the online volunteer interest form to get started.
Judicial Internship Program
Current law school students have the opportunity to intern with the Court while enrolled in law school. The program provides a behind-the-scenes overview of the practice of law in Superior Court so that students can apply what they have learned in law school to real cases and better understand expectations of licensed attorneys. The Court has potential assignments in civil, criminal, family, juvenile and probate at various branches in the County (Central, North, East and South). Please refer to the Judicial Internship Program fact sheet for more information and deadlines for application. Family Law judicial internships have separate requirements. Please refer to the Family Law Judicial Internship Program information to learn more about the requirements and options.
Temporary Judges/Settlement Attorneys
Please refer to the Temporary Judges/Settlement Attorneys page to find information about volunteering as a Temporary Judge (Judge Pro Tem) or Settlement Attorney.
Problem solvers do well at the courthouse information desks, directing individuals to courtrooms, district attorney offices, or related justice agencies located nearby.
Available at: Central Courthouse, Hall of Justice, North County Regional Center, East County Regional Center, South County Regional Center.
Volunteers in this area aid staff in the courthouse jury lounges by greeting jurors, answering questions, and assisting with juror orientation.
Available at: Central Courthouse, North County Regional Center, East County Regional Center.
Business offices in the courthouse play a vital role in the administration of justice. Volunteers placed in the business offices assist in the day-to-day operations of a designated department or work unit of the court. You can gain experience and knowledge while assisting court staff with various tasks.
Available at: Central Courthouse, Hall of Justice, Kearny Mesa Traffic Facility, North County Regional Center, East County Regional Center, South County Regional Center.
Children's Waiting Rooms
Courthouses are not always an ideal environment for children. The emotionally-charged atmosphere can be frightening and your presence as a trained volunteer in the fully-equipped Children's Waiting Room creates a safer, more nurturing alternative to the hallway. Child-sized furniture, toys, and games all contribute to the oasis of calm created by our caring volunteers.
Available at: Central Courthouse, Juvenile, North County Regional Center, East County Regional Center, South County Regional Center.