Name Change

Petition to change name or gender

How to file change of name for adult or minor

Visit the California Courts Self-Help Center for instructions and forms.

How to file change of gender

Visit the California Courts Self-Help Center for instructions and forms.

There will be a filing fee. Refer to the Court’s fee schedule.

Publishing the Petition for Name Change

NOTE:  Publication is NOT required when a Petitioner seeks to change his or her name to conform to a change in gender identity.

When your hearing is set, a copy of the Order to Show Cause for Change of Name (NC-120)  must be published  once a week for four consecutive weeks prior to the date of the hearing.

For a list of approved newspapers, click here.

What if only one parent is petitioning to change the name of a child?

If service is required on the non-petitioning parent and his or her address is unknown, the petitioning parent must complete and file an Application and Declaration In Support of Request to Dispense with Notice to Minor's Parent – Name Change with the court before the hearing.

Bring the following to the court:

  • Copy of newspaper publications
  • Completed Decree of Name Change formNC-130 for minors and adults, or NC-230 for gender change.
  • For name change of a minor, Proof of Service to the non-filing parent if petition is filed by one parent. The minor does not have to be present at the hearing.

What to Do After the Hearing?

Once your petition is granted, you may obtain a certified copy of Decree of Name Change (NC-130) or Decree of Gender Change (NC-230) from theCivil Business Office for a fee. You will need this to change all your legal documents, including your birth certificate, social security card, driver's license, and other identification such as your passport.

  General Legal Information & Assistance Programs

  • The Legal Aid Society of San Diego offers a free Name and Gender Marker Change Clinic for individuals who want to change their name and/or gender marker. For more information, click here.